Black And White Minimalist Calligraphy Swash Name Logo (18)
Call Us Now


Email Address


Family Sponsorship


Moving abroad and leaving your loved ones on the other side of the world is difficult. One of the goals of the Canadian government is to see that families are reunited. Under the family class category, certain family members may be eligible to settle in Canada for the long term and become permanent residents. They can live, study, and work in Canada after becoming permanent residents, so you no longer need to apply for a visitor visa and provide a letter of invitation.

Family class sponsorship, like other immigration categories, has certain requirements, such as a minimum necessary income that the sponsor must meet. If you’re wondering how to sponsor someone to come to Canada, you should start by looking over family sponsorship applications, eligibility, and requirements.

If you are 18 years of age or older and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to sponsor a child, spouse, or common-law partner living outside or inside Canada.

As a result, you must work in Canada and earn a certain amount of money.

Sponsoring a family member to come to Canada requires you to sign an undertaking agreement.

Please keep in mind that in Canada, family sponsorship does not qualify for a tax receipt.

More information on how to sponsor a relative to Canada, family sponsorship income requirements, how to sponsor a child born outside of Canada, and surrogacy and immigration considerations can be found below.


The age limit for dependent children has been raised from “under 19” to “under 22” for immigration purposes. All new applications received on or after October 24, 2017 will be subject to this change.
To qualify as a dependant, your child must be under the age limit and meet the requirements for a dependent child. Children are considered dependants if they meet both of the following criteria: they are under the age of 22 and do not have a spouse or partner. Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of the following criteria. They have been financially dependent on their parents since before the age of 22, and they are unable to financially support themselves due to a mental or physical condition.

Before you can bring your child to live with you in Canada, you must complete the adoption process as well as the citizenship or immigration process. To bring your adopted child to Canada, you must first apply for Citizenship or Immigration (Permanent Residency). Through the citizenship process, an adopted child receives a direct grant of citizenship. While an adopted child will be granted permanent resident status through the immigration process. If parents engage in surrogacy outside of Canada, the newborn is legally the child of the sponsor or their spouse/partner in that jurisdiction, and there are various options for bringing the child back to Canada.

There is currently no direct sponsorship programme for Canadian citizens or permanent residents’ brothers and sisters. Their siblings, on the other hand, can apply for permanent residency as economic class immigrants and receive fifteen extra points under Express Entry. There are two other ways for siblings to apply for immigration under the family category. The first option would be dependent children sponsored by their parents. The parent(s) may include their child as a dependent in this case. A sponsored child must meet certain requirements in order to qualify as a dependent. In exceptional cases, brothers and sisters may be sponsored through the orphaned close relative programme.

In certain circumstances you may qualify to sponsor your relative under “last remaining relative” exception program.  This program allows a permanent resident or citizen of Canada to sponsor any relative (related by blood or adoption) regardless of age, if sponsor doesn’t have any of the below-mentioned relatives in Canada, who are either permanent residents or citizens: spouse/common-law partner, child, parent(s)/grandparent(s), sibling, niece/nephew, aunt/uncle. In addition, sponsor should not have any members of family class (who could be sponsored) outside of Canada. If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must support your relative financially.

To sponsor a family member, you must meet several requirements, including being:

You must sign a Sponsorship undertakingwhich is your commitment to provide financial support for the person you are sponsoring’s basic needs (food, clothing, shelter, and health needs not covered by public health services).

For some types of sponsorships, you must also meet or exceed the Low Income Cut-off (LICO), for example, if you:

You are sponsoring a spouse or partner who has a dependent child with one or more children of their own, or you are sponsoring a dependent child with one or more dependent children of their own, or you are sponsoring a parent or grandparent.

If you live in Quebec, you must meet the province’s sponsorship requirements, and your income will be evaluated by the Quebec immigration ministry

You will be asked to sign a “undertaking” in which you agree to be legally responsible for the family member you are sponsoring. You will be required to repay this money if that family member requires government social assistance.

The undertaking will remain in effect for the duration specified by the family member you are sponsoring and will not be terminated even if circumstances change (i.e. if the person you are sponsoring becomes a Canadian citizen, if you divorce or separate, if you have financial problems).

The length of the  you must sign will be determined by the family member you are sponsoring and, in the case of children, their age:

Step 1: Determine whether you are eligible to be a sponsor.

Step 2: Verify that the relatives you intend to sponsor meet the eligibility requirements.

Step 3: You must apply to the Ministry of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) at the federal level and, if you are a Quebec resident, to the Ministry of Immigration, Francization, and Integration at the provincial level (MIFI). You must submit your sponsorship application as well as the applications for permanent residence (PR) status of your family members or relatives together. Once you have been determined to be eligible, your permanent residency application will be reviewed

Step 4: You must pay the application fee for family sponsorship.

Step 5: Submit your application. This information can be found in the sponsorship guide, which is available for download on the government website.

Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada can sponsor following

To be eligible for spousal or common-law partner sponsorship, you must meet the following requirements:

Fill out all forms and gather all supporting documentation for your condition. The application packet may vary depending on the applicant’s country of residency and documentation issued by other nations. Your spouse or partner may be able to apply for an Open Work Permit if you apply under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada category.

Processing begins at this moment. IRCC will not provide a receipt acknowledgement until they have opened your application and verified that it is complete. You may be asked for additional papers as the process progresses.  Check your online account and email for any updates.

The IRCC will provide a deadline and advice on how to schedule a medical exam. Within 30 days of obtaining these instructions, you must schedule your medical checkup. If you do not adhere to these guidelines, IRCC may reject your application. If there is an issue with your medical exam, IRCC will notify you.

After receiving the required information, IRCC will complete the processing of your application. When the application is approved, the applicant will receive confirmation of permanent residence. If the officer determines that you fit the requirements to enter Canada, you will be permitted to enter as a permanent resident.